HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
NOTICE OF QUESTION
The Member for Barton, Mr McClelland, to ask the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry:
- (a) How many Australian jobs are dependant on the live export trade?
(b) What is the source of the figure?
(c) How many of those jobs are administrative in nature?
(d) How many of these jobs are in feedlots?
- (a) Which countries does Australia export live animals to?
(b) What animal cruelty laws exist in each of these countries?
(c) Are an independent assessments made of slaughter conditions in these countries?
(d) How many animals have died en route during the live export process in each of the past 2 years?
- (a) What is the value of the live export trade to the Middle East for the Australian economy?
(b) What is the annual volume and value (FOB) for the live sheep market to the Middle East?
(c) What is the annual volume and value (FOB) for the live cattle market to the Middle East?
(d) What is the total annual volume and value of Australia’s exports (to all countries) of:
(e) What are the total volumes and values of Australian exports of halal accredited:
to the Middle East?
(f) What trends are apparent in these figures?
- (a) How many and what proportion of Australian slaughtermen are halal accredited?
(b) How many and what proportion of Australian abattoirs are halal accredited?
- To which countries does Australia export frozen meats?
- How many Australian jobs are dependant on the export of frozen meats?